Saturday, June 23, 2012
Why I started this blog
I don't have a singular reason, but rather an accumulation of them.
One of the most prominent reasons, is that I felt I needed to speak out. I needed to be active in the discussion of atheism and religion. I was tired of sitting on the sidelines. For years I have done this, rarely raising my voice. But I finally decided I wanted to become active.
Why did I want to become active? Because of my anger about the subject. It is the most pivotal reason for this blog. Anger, from dictionary reference, is the strong feeling of displeasure about a wrong. Most people understand the definition without questioning it. But what I see and hear from people, especially christians, is that they ask why are you so angry about the discussion of religion. I prepared to write at least a page covering an answer to this question, but will hold it off for another blog post.
I have been trying to expand myself in many ways after finally getting out of my shell. I started having some discussions with some classmates in school or a few other people. I was woefully under-prepared for many of the questions and answers. But instead of backing down, I decided to work on it. To improve my ability to discuss these points. This helps me not only to express myself as an atheist, but also to see if I can have people see why I view theology as being wrong. If I found something that contradicted my viewpoint, that would provide overwhelming evidence that their god or belief system was true, then I would accept that. But the more I have seen these discussions, worked with them, and discussed them with people, the more I agree that there is no god or 'supernatural'.
As for why a blog? Because I can write out my thoughts better than I could on comments pages of other people's blogs, videos, or other mediums. I would also have some control. One thing I will not do is silence other people. I hate that. If anyone would like to comment or make a discussion, feel free. But what I will not allow is hateful discussions. Comments with no discussion behind them, just hate, whether they are for or against my stance, I will not allow and will remove.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment